View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 06:24 PM
cabinfever

My son had his Eagle Scout Court of Honor today...after 12 years in scouting. Although I've been to others' ceremonies, it is very touching when your own child achieves this level. I hadn't really felt so emotional about it before, but I guess part of it comes with graduation from High School & heading off to college. I know many of you have been there before me. My congrats go out to each you who have had sons go through it; as there is a lot of commitment in the later years for community service & projects.

I can say that my once painfully shy son, can speak confidently in public & has become a leader as a result of the scouting experience. His first aide training has already come into good use when last year, as a camp counselor, a young boy had a large tree branch fall on his head. It was a fluke incident, but required my son to carry this 8 year old back the 2.5 miles to the main camp, stopping at a remote cabin on the way to administer temporary first aide for bleeding to his head. After stitches the boy was able to return the following week. It was a good lesson for them all; and thankfully had a happy ending. My son's years of cross-country running gave him the stamina to run that far, without losing precious time. He never saw this capability in himself before that day, but I am confident if he sees someone in distress he will not hesitate to take action now.
I know the dear people I have met on this board will not take this as a bragging moment, it is not intended as such. I am just feeling very touched by seeing the change in my little wall-flower.
Sincerely, Cathy T.