View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 06:28 AM
mhollifiel

Welcome! Your might want to use the search feature on this board to do some research on what machine to buy as well. I have a Bernina that my late husband bought me in the 90's before machines went "electronic" too much. It's great and does all I need it to do. My niece has a newer Janome that is really sweet to sew on. I also inherited my husband's late wife's Elna (70's era) and it will also do everything I ask trouble free. Finding a good service provider close by is just as important IMHO as your machine. I have a wonderful lady sewing machine repair person and she's the best ever!! Servicing and oiling will make any machine you use a better "person" when you girls sit down to "talk"!
I do occasionally need my machine to do button holes, edge stitch, blind hem, darn, and zig zag and (once or twice) I have played with some decorative stitching but a good straight stitch is your starting point. When you go shopping take a 15" quilt sandwich with you so you can see how the machines will handle that if you plan to machine quilting as well as piecing.
Hope this helps!