View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 01:20 PM
quiltswithdogs

I'm going to address several issues brought up. I hope something I say is helpful to at least one of you.
---HUMIDITY....California may be expensive, but at least we don't have that awful humidity many of you are reporting. I do agree that warm weather is much better; everything hurts more in the cold.... hottubing 1-2x/day helps.
---FIBRO/ARTHRITIS.... I have fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. The osteo pain burns bad, but only in that particular joint(s). RA is always bilateral, so say, if my Rt shoulder/hip/elbow/whatever, hurts/swells/stiff, the same joint on the Lft side does that too...RA is also systemic, affecting organs and all over pains, fatigue, "brain fog". Fibro can also cause all over pains, fatigue, "brain fog". So, basically, I'm a mess, although this is a better year for me; I can zip, button, tie laces, brush hair, hold a cup, walk a little better, and the bad afternoon "flu" feeling is getting less painful, as we increase med dosage.
---MEDS...I take Methotrexate for RA (it increases fatigue, but helped my fingers work again and is still preventing nodules).
I take Gabapentin for fibro. The goal is a much higher dose just to reach what other fibro pts take. I have to have it go up in small increments because each new dose makes me super dizzy. Then my body adjusts and after a couple more weeks, we increase it again. I didn't expect to have the benefit I've gotten. I sleep better at night, never need a Tylenol PM, and wake up refreshed. My horrible flu pains every afternoon have decreased to bad aches. I'm still needing a significant deep nap every day, but it always clears my brain and the "flu" feeling, so I do that.
---EXERCISE...I go to the Arthritis Foundation Aqua Exercise class at a local warm indoor pool. The Foundation pays for it so it's free to me. My rheumatologist kept hounding me to go and I absolutely love it. He wants me to go try the Arthritis Foundation Tai Chi class too. I have the DVD, but may sign up for one 15week session to really learn it well to do it on my own in our lovely garden. (it's a community garden but I'm usually all alone). Next to our vegetable garden boxes is a beautiful flower garden, including a butterfly garden area.
---SSDISABILITY(permanent)...I've been approved. My medical records were over a foot high, proving that my RA, Fibro, and Ulcerative Colitis are truly disabling. The vocational expert there at the Hearing told the judge that no employer would want me as my medical issues do indeed make my attendance alone unpredictable and without warning. Not stressing (over whether or not I could go to work, stay there, and be able to accomplish the work, thereby not leaving coworkers to do it), has really helped. It's true that you have to be not working for an extended period of time (6mo?). I was off for bad shoulder surgeries for over a year. All my drs recommended I not return. After 40years of working, though parttime, it took me all these past 2 years to get used to being unemployed. I only recently followed my husband telling people that I'm "retired". I have no pension or source of retirement income other than this SSD, so I've been resistant to say "retired". But, I guess I am. BTW, we desperately relied on my additional income since my husband's wasn't great and then he was downsized out of 3 jobs in a row (once you are the new guy, your doomed to be selected) so yes, it was awful and we actually lost our house. Still poor, we are happier now. We moved close to family so now can join in on things ie BBQs, thrift store shopping (jeans $5), dogpark, church/donut, watching movies. We have a really lovely, cheery, clean apt that looks right at hills, no buildings and it's quiet except for songbirds and my hummingbirds' wings. But anyway, I have multiple disabling conditions and I still got denied--twice. My advise is try, get a disability lawyer (gets paid only if you win and get retroactive pay).....and do not give up!