View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Grambi

I bought a Rowenta awhile back and my quilting teacher at the time told me that it was probably not worth the money. She suggested going to Wallmart and getting a GE steam iron with a retractable cord for less that $30. So I bought the GE and did a side-by-side comparison of the two irons. I compared them with and without steam, on quilting cotton, on poly/cotton blends and on wrinkled denim. In my little test the Rowenta did not perform any better than the GE so I returned it.

Sadly, my trusty little GE iron committed suicide by diving off the ironing board onto a concrete floor. I couldn't find one like it, so I bought a different brand with a retractable cord, also at Walmart. I think it's a Black & Decker (it is black) and it seems to work as well as my GE. It was also under $30. One issue with it is that when the water reservoir is full or almost full the water splashes back out a little when you set it upright abruptly after ironing. But the water is not hot enough to hurt (even when the iron is on the highest setting) so it is an inconvenience but not a returnable offence (for me).