View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 10:20 PM
cabinfever

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
Jumping in here late and admitting that I have not read all the responses so if this is a repeat of anything I apologize. But first, I use both a Rowenta and A EuroPro. Both are steam. Have had both for 6 plus years and never a problem. I think one reason many folks may have issues with their steam irons is not using the correct water - as odd as that may sound. I know Rowentas make ones each for use with tap water and for distilled water. I specifically made a point to buy the one for use with tap water and have never had an issue with it leaking. Maybe some flaky build up periodically then the manufacturer's directions are to fill with tap water and just hold the steam button until the iron is empty and free of flakes. Usually only takes one cycle. My EuroPro requires distilled water. Again, no issues with leaking and never any water flakes. Don't know about other brands but it might be something to look at if anyone is having leaking issues and you still have your instructions. Just my thoughts.
I have extremely hard water, so have a softener, otherwise I get terrible white scale. In my case Rowenta recommended using bottled "spring water", not distilled or my softened water. I haven't seen any Rowenta's that called for Distilled water, or I would have bought one. Something to consider if you're still in the market.