Thread: Cloth diapers
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Panther Creek Quilting

I used cloth diapers on both of my little ones. I researched the cloth diapers for purchase and they are really expensive for my budget. I bought prefolded diapers at Walmart and then microfiber shop towels in the automotive section. I split about half of the microfiber towels (no need to hem cut edge, they don't ravel) and sewed them to the tri-fold on the long side next to the padded center, leaving the top and bottom open. For days I could get buy with just the one layer of microfiber, but at night I would fold another microfiber towel and slide in in the top and out the bottom to provide for 3 layers of microfiber for absorbency. I just used the plastic pants at walmart and loved doing it the least expensive way and it worked good.

As for rashes, I know that anyone using cloth will need to change diapers a little more often, but I didn't mind since it wasn't costing me anything except an extra load of laundry.

Vinegar in the diaper pail will cut down on odors and then also rinsing them in clean toilet water to get most of the yuckies off before putting them in the pail.

Washing them is also a breeze. I would dump the diapers in and run a rinse and spin cycle and then run a regular cycle with a little detergent and about 1/2 cup baking soda. The baking soda neutralizes the ammonia in the diapers. Line drying also helps freshen them but a dryer will work also.

It you want anymore hints, just P.M. and I will be happy to answer questions.

Sheila