View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 03:03 AM
grann of 6

Originally Posted by SharBear
ok, I'm having a crisis of ability.

I WANT to be a quilter. I understand that cutting is the foundation that quilts are built on and that accurate cutting leads to accurate piecing leads to accurate block sizes leads to quilt tops that lay flat leads to quilts that rock.

I'm making blocks for my first swap and am ready to put them in the bonfire. The points don't line up no matter how many times I take them out and put them back togehter. I've made sure all the seams are pressed correctly - I think I have used a whole bottle of Best Press on 12 not-yet-assembled blocks!

Maybe it's time for me to admit that for the first time in 46 years I've tried to do something that is just beyond me. I keep thinking this should be the perfect fit for me - I love, love, love Math (I have a degree in Applied Math!) - and jigsaw puzzles - if one is out I'm banned from the room it's in because my family knows I will stay up all night finishing it!

There may be a giant de-stash sale hitting the classified board today ....

:cry: :cry: :cry:
You need to start with easy. I am pretty sure you had a tricycle before you rode a bicycle. Try a log cabin or rail fence. I have been sewing for 65 years and quilting about 3. I am just now getting comfortable with HSTs (half square triangles). If you are a math whiz you are a perfectionist. I am not a math whiz but I am a perfectionist. And I am also a realist; I realize perfection is nice but not always practical or even achievable. Quilting is supposed to be fun; you are making it WORK. Relax and go with the flow.