View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 04:48 AM
LindaMRB

Originally Posted by donnajean
I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, so I pin a lot. I use the very fine thin silk pins that I can even sew over if I want. However, I usually take the pin out just before the needle is ready to hit it. Pinning, especially at matched seems really keeps things lined up. I put a pin on either side of the seam. My sister never pinned anything, but she did not care if her seams did not line up.
I have found pinning to be crucial, too, and am doing my first quilt matching points and corners.
Getting those seems correct (slightly sly of 1/4 inch so the thread makes it 1/4 inch) but CONSISTENT.

I have had trouble figuring out whether I slide it one way or the other to correct my point. Still having trouble, but I am not giving up yet.

I also think that cutting ON THE grain and not even slightly off can help: cutting on the bias a the definition for trouble! Cutting across the grain means you have more stretch, so different cuts of the same fabric for the same pieces, can mean you have to make different adjustments for each seam...

Don't loose heart! This is not the easiest hobby!