View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 07:43 PM
margecam52

In 1945 people machine quilted...straight lines mostly. I would definately have it finished. My mom saved every pretty thing she ever got..."for company."... I never do...darn it, if it's good enough for company, it's definately good enough for me!

I finished my moms quilts and gave a couple to family & have the others in use.

Also, get the lady who you got the quilt from to write that story down, or you do it...keep it with a photo of the quilt..that story will add value one day.
Marge

Originally Posted by Rose_P
This is a top that I bought in a local store that sells "Texiana". I asked some questions, and they called the person who consigned it to them and let me talk to her. She said her grandmother and a friend of hers sat under a shade tree in 1945 and pieced it all by hand, and that was as far as they got with it. It is about 91" X 78". Both of the women had lost their husbands (I did not ask how, but that was the end of WW2), and she thought working on this together helped them cope. I asked the seller how she could stand to part with it, and she said there was just too much stuff, and you can't keep everything. I've had it hanging over the rail above our entry ever since, in a spot that does not get any direct sunlight. I was wondering what you all think about the idea of having it professionally machine quilted. Would that take away from the value of it as a period item? I'm sure if I left a UFO that someone liked well enough to buy more than 60 years later, I'd be pleased if they finished it and used it as it was originally intended to be used, but if that's a big no-no, I'll just keep it as it is.