Old 06-24-2011, 11:19 AM
postal packin' mama

Originally Posted by Delilah
Yep, that should give you the 1/4" cutting line. When in doubt lay a ruler on top and check the measurements between the slots. I have the 12"x18" slotted ruler and have found that the distance from the edge to the first and last cutting slot is 2" on each side, so that can add one more cut when making 2" strips and even one more cut when making 2.5" cuts (17.5" + 2.5" = 20" or right side of ruler). Works for 4" and 5" cuts also.

Thank you! That'll work for the first two '+1/4" cuts' at least, at which time I'd need to reposition like I did before doing the first two cuts...I think...?
Haven't tried using it yet but wanted to ask first to see if it sounded logical to more experienced folks.

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama
QUESTION: the JT slotted ruler I just bought has slots every 1/2" and has a 1/4" line up the left side.
So if I need to cut 2 1/4" strips, for instance, would I position the slot at 2" and then move the ruler over to the right so the left edge lines up with the 1/4" line on the left side??

Thanks for any clarification anyone can provide.

This was not addressed in the accompanying guidelines or in the videos I watched. The slotted ruler with the 1/4" slots seemed much more flimsy than the 1/2" slotted one.