View Single Post
Old 06-25-2011, 03:45 PM
thepolyparrot

If you normally like handwork, I'll bet you will love needleturn applique.

I tried all kinds of methods of applique that allowed me to avoid the "needleturn" aspect before I broke down and did a cutaway needleturn block. Seven smallish five-point stars on an 8" block - of all the crazy things to break into applique with! It took me a couple of evenings, but it was so much fun! Now, I've got two hand applique projects going at once - one is needleturn and one is starch prepared.

I keep trying YLI silk and it does a good job of disappearing, but gosh, it shreds so easily while you're sewing. Seems like I can only take eight or ten stitches before it's breaking.

So far, I've used YLI 100 wt silk, YLI Soft Touch, Masterpiece, Aurifil 60 wt, Mettler Silk Finish and Bottom Line - all of them are fine, so they disappear into the applique.

But, my favorite is the polyester thread - the Bottom Line - it's so fine and so strong! It stays in the needle and doesn't shred or tangle. I use Thread Heaven, but when I skip it, I don't really notice much difference.

You can order a whole rainbow of Bottom Line in a bobbin halo from Superior Threads for about $1 per bobbin. There are also 10-pc sets of colors on pre-wound bobbins. I usually use cream, taupe, silver or a medium grey, so I bought spools of those, too.

It is the easiest of all the threads to work with for lack of shredding and tangling and it's invisible in the finished block.

I'll bet you're going to be amazed at how much fun this is. :)