Old 06-26-2011, 03:57 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Originally Posted by miriam
I found a road side freebee last night. It is an 1960/70 Kenmore. It does straight or zigzag. It was very much an ashtray. I got it cleaned up. Need to haul it in the house and plug it in to see if it works. I got it freed up. Seems like a fairly nice metal machine. I'm not sure how to tell what model it is. It was missing the pressure feet and the bobbin case. I had that in my pack rat stash.
Did you find the model number? If not, it should be on the right side of the machine when you lift the head from its base. (Under the visible portion of the machine when it is set up, if that makes sense.) Have you tried to use it yet?
Found the model number - 148 something. It does zigzag straight and then a forward, back, forward stitch. It works very well. The bobbin winder tire is 'flat' from not being used so right now it doesn't wind a bobbin at all. I slicked up the shaft with some tri-flo and it turns freely now. Under all the grime was a very seldom used machine. She now shines. I wiped down the cabinet and left it in the sun - seems to have taken down the smell. I found some generic instructions how to use it on line. A bobbin case I had fit. I got some gunk out of the races and oiled the whole thing. Runs pretty slick now. This was a very successful rescue!