Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 PM
omak

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by omak
I hope you don't mind that I dropped in, since the machine I got today isn't a Singer (as far as I know).
I did get a patent number on it - - Montgomery Ward Model R (or it could be A) ... patent number 2.007.794
I couldn't get the machine to lift up out of its box (the cover is missing) and, it is going to take me a while to figure out how to get to the bobbin.
The other interesting (I thought) feature of this straight stitch machine is a nickel plate (I assume it is nickel, since it hasn't tarnished) about five inches long that runs under the foot the entire width of the bed of the machine - - other than that, the entire machine is a boring black cast iron body. It is printed with information about needle sizes.
I just popped in to start receiving postings from this thread.
However, if you have any pointers for me, I surely would appreciate it. <wave>
Hi Omak,

Waving to you from Tri-Cities... can you see me? I have at least 5 different brands of sewing machines. I think you are in good company... Welcome! :thumbup:
<wave> Right back at you - - and, we are definitely going to have to make a date! anyway, I may be able to get DD to take a picture tomorrow, since I haven't broken down long enough to figure out how to charge up my camera (I might be lazy, or just be very busy) ... you all are correct. A picture would help very much.
Thank you all for your generous welcome.
Since someone mentioned chatting about gardening, guess what I saw today for the first time???
We were out anchoring down a hay tarp - - decided to drive to the south end of the little chicken park pasture, and I saw my FIRST little killdeer baby! (I call the birds killdeers, but they might be something else) It was so cute - - as all babies are.
We have been in Grant County for eleven years and we have seen lots of the adults. They lay their eggs in the darndest places! It is a wonder anything survives, and I really have never figured out why they still keep showing up, since I had never seen any babies.
Tonight, however, I saw a baby one - - all of about 2.5" tall, and as randy as his parents. I was so proud of my dogs - - they did NOT chase the little bird or his parents. (The barn bird babies aren't so fortunate) ...
it was interesting to me how something so tiny could be so much like his parents, only smaller - - <wave>