View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 07:12 AM
catmcclure

Originally Posted by Linda71
It always surprises me when someone says "I would NEVER do/try/use/ or whatever". My mother has a friend who quilts and she will not go to a quilt show because "People use MACHINES to quilt-That is not REAL quilting".

I will try any thread, material, technique, anything new or old, and I will use or do it. I love trying new and different things and materials and threads, whatever. The only requirement is I must ENJOY it.
Back in the "Good Old Days" in the latter part of the 1800's a status symbol was a sewing machine. They weren't just used for decoration. They sewed clothing, and "gasp" QUILTS on those things. It was the most marvelous invention for women ever. If you go to quilt museums you will find a lot of quilts made in the 1870's on up that were pieced AND quilted on the sewing machine. Don't ever let somebody tell you that "real" quilters only do things by hand. That's an elitist attitude and comes from the fact that well-to-do women (without a job and with household help) had/have time to sit and handpiece everything.