View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 07:20 PM
insgal62

I took a class for a few years so I was always working on something for class. Got bored after a few years as they worked way to slow a pace for me. Started just buying books that had a quilt I loved and it just spun out of control from there! Not to mention I have made quilts for three new grandchildren, one great niece, every family member on my and my husband's side of the family, two old friends from high school, my best friend and now one for her daughter's wedding gift. I currently have the fabric for at least 12 projects that I WANT to do if I wasn't constantly sidetracked by other people asking me to do a new project for them. I just can't seem to say no when people are stroking my ego by how much they love my work and want me to make them one of my quilts. Sometimes doing good work can be a curse when you can't say no!! Now my church want's me to make 20 baby quilts that they can present as gifts to all the new babies born to our church members. Every time I start my own project, inevitably my mother in law will call and tell me she needs new place mats or a new table runner and then she wanted a Red Hatter's Society Wall Hanging. It never ends! I haven't done a quilt for myself in over a year. Last Christmas, I made 7 Christmas throw quilts for every one of my family. Of course I picked one with Christmas trees, that had over 45 hand sewn ornaments on 6 trees per quilt. (UGH! What WAS I thinking???) They LOVED them, but it became like a sweat shop in my house trying to get them all done in time.

And in the middle of all this, now my husband decided it was time to sell our house and move back to Chicago from Springfield, Illinois (350 miles away) and I had 2 weeks and 78 tasks on the "to do" list. He works in Chicago for 1 1/2 years now and the driving back and forth is too much. I just had neck surgery 6 weeks ago and am having lower back surgery in 6 more weeks and had a mountain of work to do without him here to help. Thank God for my friends at church!! Without them I would be dead on the floor! Hubby is finally home this weekend and house will be on the market July 5th. Then I can FINALLY get back to my quilting projects that haven't been touched in over two weeks now.

I am teaching my best friend's 10 year old daughter how to make a quilt and she wants to enter it in a quilt show soon. We have to have it done by an August 15th deadline for submission. And, I have to get her sister's wedding quilt done and her wedding is only two weeks away. So Tuesday morning, it's back to the grind! So, that's my sad story!