Thread: Help, Please :)
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 07:32 AM
QuiltBoy

My method is to put backing on a smooth floor & use masking tap around the edges (do not stretch) just lay flat with no wrinkles - lay batting over that & again smooth out & tape to the backing fabric or to the floor (do not stretch) - lay quilt top over that & check for squareness...smooth out & tape it to batting, backing or floor (whatever is under edge) - safety pin (quilting pins with the bend in the center) starting in the center & work in a circle ever 3 to 4 inches between pins (a lot of pins are key) - when complete trim edges to quilt top (maintaining the squareness) - now start quilting using a walking foot & be sure the pressure is properly set (actually proper pressure/tension looks & feels kind of loose) figure what your longest "run" will be (stitch in the ditch or across the ditches) & start with the longest runs & then go to second longest, etc. - the only time I have ever got "gathers" is when I crossed the first "long runs" with a secondary run (only happened a few times) - the key is a lot of pins very close & proper tension on the walking foot - good luck!