Old 07-08-2011, 02:55 AM
molly oldham

Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
Originally Posted by molly oldham
Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
I am working on my fifth QAYG quilt. I use the Cotton Theory method. I developed arthritis in my hand about the same time I started quilting, so no hand quilting for me. And because I only have a domestic machine, QAYG is the best solution. I can make king-size quilts, too.

I study quilts I like and select only patterns that I can adapt to the QAYG method. I find myself inventing my own patterns (which is not necessarily a good thing for a newbie).

Like all new methods, you have to get used to QAYG and with each project, I find ways to improve my quilts. Because of my limitations, if I don't do QAYG, I can't quilt. So, that is great incentive to me to keep improving my quilts.

QAYG is a very different approach and I can see why folks might not like it, but for me, it's the only way I can quilt. It takes practice, so if a first project doesn't turn out well, that is not a show-stopper, just a reason to keep practicing.

As I told my DH yesterday, "This quilt has a lot of flaws, but it is going to be the best quilt that my mother receives from me at Christmas!"
I really like your quilts. Yours have wider sashes than I've seen on other qayg. How are yours done?
Molly, the wider sashing is part of the Cotton Theory Method. The sashings are used to join the quilt blocks together.
I don't see the diminitional seams on the king-size quilt. How did you eliminate them? Are they on the back? I hope you don't mind so many questions.