View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Rosie the "Ripper"

My grandmother taught me how to sew on her old black Singer. She was the baby sitter for all her grandchildren since we all lived very close and our parents all had to work. My mother ran a cleaners with my two aunts and worked long hours while raising five children. She didn't have time to teach me.
I remember being the only one who didn't want to go and play because I'd rather sit under the apple tree with grandma and learn how to crochet, knit and embroider. She never used a pattern - couldn't read one, so she would just look at one and just make it. I could never figure out how she knitted sweaters for everyone with the most beautiful cabeling on them. She would just knit and then put it up against your body to make sure it was the right size and length. Always came out perfect! I think this is where my creativity came from. I would rather make up a pattern, feel my way through it, and make it happen. Never did like to follow a pattern much.
Grandma used to make the most beautiful cut work pieces-doilies, pillowcases, sheet tops and all the churches altar cloths. I still have many of her handkerchiefs with crochet edges and tons of cut work items.
Grandma has been gone for 40 years now. She was the first person in my life who died. It was very painful for me to lose her. I spent many hours with her and learned so much. She was a magnificent person.I think of her daily and reminisce over all the things we did together.