View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 02:43 PM
star619

Joy (surely there is truth in that name!),
I like the concept the Amish have about all of their work, but especially quilting. If their quilt is coming out PERFECT they always put in a "God's eye" (an intentional error because only God can do anything perfectly). Is that not true? Every quilt you see or read about would not stand up to close scrutiny if we had the chace to go over it with a magnifying glass.My grandmother made utility quilts with whatever fabric she had at hand, and, probably, quilted 5-6 stitches to the inch. But, her quilts were to keep her family warm. As I labor over a fussy pattern, I think my grandmother (Cajun)would have said, "Child, you must have a lot of time on your hands!" And, she graciously would have laughed at our efforts to outdo ourselves(or each other) on such a non-essential issue. She was 1 of 6 kids when her Mom died, & her Dad married a woman 4 yrs. older than she was.They had 6 kids & adopted his brother's kids when both parent were killed in the flood of 1928. He said "If you're feeding 14, what difference will 4 more make?"
Hugs and prayers for you, Debbie