Old 07-11-2011, 07:11 AM
union lady

Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl
My husband and I took advantage of the recent July 4th holiday weekend and went to the mountains. We have been unable to take a trip for the past 2 years due to the financial strain we have been under. It was a trip designed for relaxation which we needed badly.

The goal.... he was going to fish.... I was going to quilt. I took my little Brother sewing machine, cutting tools, card table (in case there was not enough work space in our room), fabric, extension cords, etc. My husband took his fly fishing gear. Our car was loaded down. ;-)

We found a little motel that backed up to a mountain river. It had a deck on the back that was a mere 30 feet from the river. The scenery was divine.

I moved my card table and all my sewing paraphernalia out on the covered deck and sewed to my heart's content. My husband fished each morning and evening. We did do some sight seeing but basically stayed away from the tourist attractions.

When telling other folks about our trip.... it was hilarious to see their reaction when they heard about me taking all my sewing stuff. "Can't you do that at home?" was the typical reaction. "Yes", I replied, "but not with the scenery that I had."

So all that being said.... I know my QB friends will understand and truly appreciate the joy of being able to create a new masterpiece without any interruptions and the typical day-to-day tugs of responsibility. I work full-time and do not get to sit down and work on a quilt for very long periods of time.

BTW.... my new masterpiece is called "Summer at Mom's". I am actually making 2 of them.... one for our guest room... and one for my Mom for Christmas. I can't wait to post pics when they are complete.

Happy quilting everyone!
It sounds perfect to me. My husband and I are seasonal campers. We have a camper in the woods with a front deck and a lake nearby. We have the same kind of vacations you two had and think there is nothing like them.
Hope you can go again soon.