Old 07-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Mornigstar

On July 2 I put pic of my QAYG but then there were lots of questions to answer --no time then - will repost the pic below-
"Pomagranate"-McCalls 1959 -used QAYG because I got
Blocks-12"sqs started-cut,few appliqued,sandwiched,quilted
Fabric -included lots white, others mostly solid,
Batting-poly so no ironing as QAYG
Applique-pieces already cut out ready to do hand work, done as a TRAPUNTO method also on border. Batting inserted.

I had to design layout depending on # of blocks I could sew with this fabric. Wanted wide sashing to make usable quilt size. Placed batting into the green sashing to fill the 2.5 inch space. Sewed green top & back white sashing at same time on the one side of the block. Then sewed only white sashing to the back. Instead of hand sewing to finish the join I turned under the 1/4" on top green sashing and did the widest decorative stitch on both side edges. That held down the seam of the block but also acted as a way to quilt the batting that I had layed as filling between blocks.

After joining 3 together across I used Rose color to join strips together but they look better since I used same rose color thread which is what I would recommend. When doing decorative stitches your thread or bobbin can finish and it's harder to restart. Ask me how I know.

I used white bobbin as I wanted the back to be all white for whole cloth quilt look.
After blocks joined I had to add 2 borders with batting for size then hand sewed on the applique and outline quilted it by hand as I had the inside sq's.This way the batting was anchored. Decorative wide stitch around the border same design as on green /rose sashing

Timely to do my binding 2.5 as short of fabric -all doubled using proper joins with many pieces. Made placement balance on each side-blue across both ends not showing in pic
Hand sewed binding to back.Hand work limited to hands.

Think QAYG has lots of uses besides all these little strip blocks with narrow sashing that many books show.
My quilt was a concern since I did not start it.

Hope that answered all ?'s. That's my tutorial.

Back shows hand work & pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]224886[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-224875.jpe   attachment-224880.jpe