Old 05-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Mousie
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Celeste
My sister would like to do something with embroidery stitches. Not just back, cross , stem, running or satin stitch stuff.

(All she's been able to find is pillowcases at Michaels. She says "I really have no imagination, I need it spelled out.")

Here's a few names:

Algerian Eye:
Alternating Cross:
Alternating Barred Chain
Arrow stitch see Arrowhead stitch
Arrowhead Stitch:
Arrowhead Stitch Threaded:

She's trying to find something to use them in and color coded too.
She's spent quite some time on the internet, but must not know the right way to find it. :cry:

If anyone can help her we'd be most greatful!
Celeste, I have a book with the first two stitches on your list:

The Embroidery Stitch Bible by Betty Barnden
over 200 stitches photographed with easy-to-follow charts

I love this book. I got it on Amazon.com. I believe I paid around 7 or 8 dollars, before shipping, and it is spiral bound. I am a very visual learner, and i can follow this book with no problem.
I haven't gotten into anything very intricate, mind you.
I did embroidery as a teenager, and a little cross stitch, and am just getting back into both.
I love to look at other ppl's machine embroidery pictures, but I'd rather do my own embroidery. Right now, having so many projects going, I just embellish things, a bit here and there, but I am going to do a crazy quilt for one of the grandbabies, so it will have a lot of embroidery stitches on it.
I don't know how many ppl still do it, but I know it's not dead. One of my girls, crochets and cross stitches, but doesn't like hemming. It's not my favorite thing to do, but I really don't mind it.