View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 03:21 AM
Agatha

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I don't have any idea on that, but I suspect a deal breaker would be to take them, one by one, to a quilt shop and tell them to look at and price any fabric they want or like. And to add backing and batting prices..if they don't faint at that final cost (take a calculator) then you can set down with them and talk prices for your time. Then let them look at the total all written down in black and white..might shock them speechless at your actually wanting money for "keeping busy"!!! I've actually heard someone say that about the art of quilting..
This is what I would do too. Have them pick out their own materials and pay for the materials. Ask them to pick a pattern. Then you take them and make a quilt. I would charge according to my time. The more complicated the pattern the more time put in. If your sister is doing the quilting then add that in. Give them an estimate so there is no haggling or sticker shock :shock: after the quilt is made. Romana is right. Once they see how much it will cost, they may not want it done and once you see how much they are not willing to pay, you may not want to do it.