Old 07-13-2011, 11:29 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
Thanks for all the helpful insight. I can definitely see the help of accuracy and control in a 4.5 block. The thought of removing the paper from and producing 152 paper patterns is daunting to say the least. I have no real PP knowledge-no idea the best paper to use etc. I know you should use a shorter stitch length, but not what that should be, 2.0? 1.5? I know there are water soluble papers, but 152 blocks? Along with the 17.5 yards (!) of fabric this project would take- Definitely not in my budget! I am going to think on this and how I could use Eleanor's teaching to come up with a smaller project but use the color inspiration as Christine suggested. Thanks!
I was going to suggest freezer paper or vellum(my preference). I really don't mind the ripping as it's not a big deal.

You would be able to print two foundations per regular vellum sheet.

I buy the 11x17 pads at Office Depot, and depending on the size of the foundations I'll be using, I either cut the sheets in half with the slicer in the copy department for printing at home, or I make the copies on the larger paper on the copy machines (and copy 4 at a time) - total cost either way is under $20. But the time and ease of doing it that way is worth it to me.

With the freezer paper, which is also a great technique, you could needle punch the layout if you don't want to bother printing it out.
I do that a lot - 8-10 sheets at a time.

It's a great looking quilt. Looking forward to seeing your progress.