View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 03:53 AM
angelarose

Originally Posted by SuziC
I have been experiencing a "slump" these last few weeks. After some awful "family stuff" i have not been able to get into quilting. My DH made my Beautiful sewing room and i need to get my ----back to making baby quilts for the local hospital. Any advise from my experts and friends. I have all the fabric i need and right now i have the time. I just need to clear my head and get back to what i love, but i am blocked. Today is the first day i have been actually looking at all the posts trying to get inspired. How do you move on and back to your old self????
"Family Stuff" is always there hiding in the shadows, peeking around corners just waiting to get in your head. Everybody has some form of family stuff, and some of it is truly awful. Sometimes it can spread around the family and do a number creating so much other nasty stuff that the family becomes enemies to each other and the fallout leaves your head mixed up and in pain. As if you have to make a decision how to fix it all. Some things in the family can't be fixed depending on what the problem is.
When I think of my family what comes to mind is "Family Stuff." Who can talk to whom easily, did aunt so and so across the street really not speak to her sister (my grandmother) for 40 years and why. Who doesn't talk to whom, blah, blah. My husband and I moved away from family 45 years ago which was quite a shock to our Italian, close knit (ha ha) family. Best thing I could have done. Oh, I see /hear from them regularly, but I'm not in their family stuff. Because you see, now our little family has its own "Family Stuff" would you believe. Sisters, and brother, still sibling rivalry getting in the way of harmony. I worried about this, tried to get them close together so they would let bygones be bygones, but these "kids" are in their 40's now!! It's their responsiblity to get over what's bugging them about each other. And I won't die trying to figure out their gripes with each other. I'm here with my husband who's survived cancer and we're enjoying our lives. My sewing is most enjoyable.
I realize there are various degrees of awful family stuff, and I've lived it as a child. I'm not minimizing what you're faced with, please don't think that of me. Please try to think of it this way: paint yourself in a protective bubble. Think of a guardian angel or the Holy Spirt right near. Go on and have a good and safe day and enjoy yourself. That bubble will protect you and give you strength to be yourself.
Tenderly,
Angela
A.