Thread: dear Jane
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 11:55 AM
mariebaker

[quote=thebooklady27]I also had the patterns forever, I had purchased a notebook full of printed patterns, plus the softwear and the book from a lady that had given up on it. Everytime I looked at those teeny templates I freaked out and put it all away again. Then I noticed while playing with the software one day that many of the patterns could be printed out for paper piecing.... and that changed everything for me. So I designed a semi-Dear Jane with squares on point and used a pattern for the border that I had seen on Linda Franz's version of the DJ. There are 211 four and a half inch squares in my quilt, plus side triangles. I used every DJ pattern that I could in either paper piecing or machine applique and filled in with other paper piecing patterns from here and there. The quilt is about 8 ft square and will be put away as a wedding quilt for my baby grandson. :) So...perhaps if you don't make yourself be locked into replicating the DJ quilt exactly it would be more fun for you to try. You could also make a smaller quilt, make the blocks bigger....just about anything you want. I hope you will try it out, I can truthfully say I had a ball doing the blocks and putting them together in the block by block method allowed me to machine quilt each block intricately and that was fun too. Good luck! ]

this is an absolutely stunning quilt! bravo

:-D :-D