Thread: dear Jane
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 01:22 PM
JoanneS

Originally Posted by thebooklady27
I also had the patterns forever, I had purchased a notebook full of printed patterns, plus the softwear and the book from a lady that had given up on it. Everytime I looked at those teeny templates I freaked out and put it all away again. Then I noticed while playing with the software one day that many of the patterns could be printed out for paper piecing.... and that changed everything for me. So I designed a semi-Dear Jane with squares on point and used a pattern for the border that I had seen on Linda Franz's version of the DJ. There are 211 four and a half inch squares in my quilt, plus side triangles. I used every DJ pattern that I could in either paper piecing or machine applique and filled in with other paper piecing patterns from here and there. The quilt is about 8 ft square and will be put away as a wedding quilt for my baby grandson. :) So...perhaps if you don't make yourself be locked into replicating the DJ quilt exactly it would be more fun for you to try. You could also make a smaller quilt, make the blocks bigger....just about anything you want. I hope you will try it out, I can truthfully say I had a ball doing the blocks and putting them together in the block by block method allowed me to machine quilt each block intricately and that was fun too. Good luck!

Originally Posted by rosiewell
Has anyone done a "dear Jane" quilt? I have seen some quilts and it looks like a lot of work, I do love applique but notoriously I start quilts and never finish them, so I am hesitant to spend $$ for the pattern book (to date I have 38 UFOs!! LOL)
Your quilt is beautiful! Another proof that thinking outside the box is a GREAT idea. I like the setting triangles and your 2 borders - the scallops are beautiful!