Old 07-16-2011, 11:27 PM
nancia

i went thru that whole feminism movement in the 60's and 70's, and i was bound and determined i would be able to do anything that didn't use a penis as a tool. so i fixed electric, plumbing. checkbook, plants, construction and later learned welding. but i also retained the power of a smile. i figured being liberated didn't mean i 'had' to do everything myself, it just meant i 'could' do it all. one of my guy friends told me i was the most conveniently liberated woman he knew. i could/ would do anything i chose to do and smiled at others and asked them to do the things i didn't want to do. well, what's the liberation in being locked into doing more things? there is a big difference in being able to do something and choosing not to, and being told you can't do it because you lack anatomy. never saw a guy pull out his whatsis to fix a car, have you?
xylie, you do these things because you know how and you need to. want to doesn't come into it, i bet. too bad those young guys aren't interested in learning survival skills. the power goes out, you have to rely on yourself, not your smart phone! so many skills are being taught to fewer and fewer people. they won't be totally lost because every generation has a group like us that take pride in being able to create, and be self-reliant. i feel bad for those who only feel the need to recharge their phones. it feels satisfying to say ' i did that'. and when we lose all of our extra weight we will be able to look back in pride and say 'i did that!' a few indiscretions may slow us but they can't stop us! i am losing. i am in control. i CAN do this! because i choose to!