Old 07-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Lobster

Eagle Hawk - Thanks, but I'm really not trying to make a traditional crazy quilt here. As long as I can manage to do it physically, I don't see any reason not to quilt it the way I want to. However, if practically no one is quilting crazy quilts then that's a pretty good sign that it's going to be very hard to get the needle through, not to mention avoiding clutter visually, so I think I will keep the quilting within the blocks to the bare minimum, probably just a small motif in the centre. There's plenty of space in the sashing, after all.

sahm4605 - tornado circular pattern? Could you explain further? I am intrigued but confused!

candledish - ooh, that's handy to know, thanks. It probably wouldn't help if I had used some sort of washable marking pen, though, as we don't know how they'll react to salt. Right now I'm thinking of marking it with a silver quilting pencil, as they strike a good balance between rubbing off by the time you've quilted over them, but not rubbing off the rest of the quilt while you're generally handling it. This would save me having to wash it at all.

The colours have worked out nicely, I'm very pleased with it. It was a block swap quilt and the block description I gave was fairly vague, so I'm lucky that it turned out this well. Two blocks didn't make the quilt due to not working well with the others, of which one (crazy block made from three near-indistinguishable fabrics) will become an accompanying cushion where I can have fun with embroidery, and the other (not a crazy block at all) will become a wall hanging where i can have fun with beading.