View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 PM
khurtdvm

Like so many have said, non-quilters/non-sewers/non-(insert handmade craft) honestly don't understand the time and skill it takes to make the custom, handmade items that we love to give! Because *WE* know what goes into it, we can recognize the love in every stitch, even if we see colors or prints we aren't as fond of. But we can't really expect the non-"handmakers" to understand that, unless they've been educated previously.

And like others have said, showers can be a nightmare for women who aren't really into being the center of attention. I sincerely hope that I didn't hurt anyone's feelings at my baby showers by not making enough of a fuss over handmade items, when I was overwhelmed by not feeling well and just by the sheer number of gifts. When you're faced with a mountain of gifts and numerous eyes on you, unfortunately things fall through the cracks. But hopefully then you can make up for the hurt a little by writing appreciative thank-you notes. I always tried to look at the item as I wrote the thank-you note, so that I could mention something specific to it - like the bear that had a heart on one foot, you know? Partly so the giver knew that I had truly looked at and appreciated their gift.

As for the fleece blankets, well, those are really popular. What can I say? I've bought fleece prints and solids and made double-layer blankets for my home and for gifts. They're warm and toasty, it's easy (and not horribly expensive) to customize the print to the recipient, and most importantly - if they get used and loved to death, I don't feel bad. They didn't take that long. In my house, the quilts belong on the bed, though of course the small ones get carried around by my boys. But in terms of which blankets go on the floor in the basement for playing and watching TV - not the quilts! Nope, the fleece blankets. ;)

Oh, yes - and your quilt was very cute - totally appropriate for a baby, yet able to grow with the child. Hopefully the parents-to-be realize in time just how lovely the gift was.