Old 07-19-2011, 04:41 AM
BarbM32

I have done this for years in particular when I am making serviceable quilts of corduroy with flannel backing and tacking it together with yarn(no batting needed). Looks terrific. Regarding as to how long it lasts I am still using quilts I made this way with my mother before she died in 1978. They really take a beating, on beds, on floors, camping out, whatever. I purchase any corduroy on sale, save it until I get in the mood and then cut out my 6x8 blocks. Do not always sew them at that time, just when I need a gift or want something simpler to do than a more involved top. To make sure these tops really last I go over the blocks where sewn together with fancy embroidery stitches on my machine, then layer the top onto the flannel so I can yarn tie the two pieces together. Last step is to fold the binding on top of the corduroy, pin and sew. Perfer binding to be about 2 1/2" showing. I went into more detail this time because these quilts turn out to be so serviceable and attractive that I want the beginner quilters to feel comfortable starting one. I do from kid size (smaller blocks) to king size but most are twin size as that is just about right for laying all covered up on the couch in the winter to watch TV.