Thread: False Praise
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 10:58 AM
margecam52

Borders...here's how I do them:

Measure down the length of the quilt top in three places- right, middle and left side down. Now take those three measurements and divide them by three.
For example: 60-1/2" + 60" + 60-1/4" = 180-3/4". Divide the 180-3/4" by 3 (180.75 / 3 = 60.25). So you will cut the side border fabric to 60-1/4" in length x whatever you want the border width.
Pin the border onto the side of the quilt, matching the two ends to the edges of the quilt top side ends. You may have to either stretch the border or the side of the quilt top to fit the borders. The difference will be less than 1/4" of the entire length..so barely noticeable.

Press the seams...repeat across the width of the quilt top in three places...divide & that's the length of the top and bottom borders.

If you are doing a mitered border..and the borders are 5" wide..add 12" to the length and width of the measurement...but mark the extra 6" at each end and fit the border from marking to marking...this leaves enough space to mark your diagonal miter seams and stitch.

If you are doing a mitered border & don't know how...a simple way is the fold the quilt on the diagonal, matching the side of the top to either the top or the bottom (depending on which corner you are mitering)..and mark the borders on the diagonal...pin & stitch on the lines you marked...from the outer end to the corner of the quilt top.
This should give you a perfect corner mitered seam...test before you trim the seams.

Hope this helps some.

Originally Posted by f rogers
i agree with what everyone is saying here. however i'm in a place where I have a hard time putting fabric together where it looks appealling. I get feed back from one of my daughters but then she says you more about this than I do. Right now I'm having a problem with borders fitting right they always seem to ripple a comment there would appreciated. I think I've always had that problem but managed to quilt it out when I was hand quilted.