Old 07-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by Lostn51
I work on them all of the time and in fact I just finished up a 99K for one of our member not long ago.
Billy
I was thinking of you the other day when I saw a pick-up truck that was painted with some kind of paint that looked like different colors when you looked at it from different angles. Super cool!!!! I think I remember one of the sewing machines, that you painted and posted the picture of, had paint like that. What is that type of paint called?
That was another members machine that she had done but it is called a "Color Shift". Different brands have different names for the paint like HOK is called "Kosmic Color", Dupont calls theirs "Chromalusion" but they all do the same thing. HOK (house of Kolor) was the company to come up with the colors first then after their patent went out the formulas went public and the other companies started making theirs. Its aluminum powder that makes the colors shift.

Here is some stupid trivia for you, Ford bought the proprietary rights to the paint from HOK when it was first developed. It was called "Mystic" and was only offered on the Mustang GT. If you owned one of those cars and it was wrecked Ford sent a painter to the body shop to mix and spray the color for them and when he left he made sure that nothing was left behind.

Billy