View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 04:51 PM
draggin_behind

Hi, all

I just watched one of Suzanne McNeill's newer tutes on youtube based on quilts from her "10 Minute Blocks 2" book.

I like the sample she did on the video, but am intrigued by the "star" block quilt she shows that's done in shades of yellow. It looks like two squares sewn in the seams, but knowing how the uppermost square has to be sewn in (based on the original 10 minute block), it can't be done that way.

So, two questions.
One, has anyone ordered the book? Is it worth the money? I saw it on the web and am planning to order it after payday. I don't have her first book, but have made some of the 10 minute blocks. (Actually that was my first quilt project.) Should I get the first book also?

Second question: If anyone has the book, can you tell me how she does the double layered square in the center? I'm not asking for specifics or for anyone to violate copyright laws or anything, I'd just like to know the basic process for that block.

I'm thinking of adding her triangles from a rectangle cattywampus on the corners of each square, sewing them down to hold them still, then pretending the square with the triangle is a normal square and proceeding. Don't know if that will work or if that will be a new invention. :lol:

While I'm asking, I have another stray thought. I watched some tutes online about taking two strips of fabric, sewing them together down the length, then cross cutting them so that you have a square. Layer two squares, right sides together and having opposite colors touching, sew around the outside of the square using a 1/4" seam, which basically makes a closed pillow with seams on the outside. Cut corner to corner in both directions and voila! Two HST and two QST. Has anyone tried this with strips of more than 2 fabrics? What did you get?

Can you tell that I have too much time to think today? :?

Happy piecing and hope your quilting is obedient to your wishes this week!
M&M