View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 08:38 PM
My time

Originally Posted by AliKat
Couple of thoughts here.This is what I was going to say. My son and his fiancee are coming to Phoenix for a destination wedding. They live in Yellowknife NWT, in northern Canada. They can't expect to have to fly bags of wedding gifts north. So this is where gift cards could come in handy.

Sometimes gift cards are the best way to go ...
- if a soon to be married couple already have their own places and don't need much 'stuff'. Coordinating the cards for certain stores - like Home Depot, Lowe's, or such - makes total sense. Remember these are guidelines, and sometimes have a purpose.
- if the person the shower is for lives far away and gifts would be hard to take home. Then there might be the option of giving a picture of the gift and then mailing the gift to them.
- if there are a lot of hand me downs already for a baby or the parents to be don't have much room for more 'stuff.'

Of course you could always call whoever is hosting the shower and talk about preferences/reasons/ etc and then decide if you can make it or not.

Funny topic in a way. This summer one gal I met said that there had been so many divorces that now she only makes picnic quilts for newly weds and waits til the 5th year anniversary before making a bed quilt.

My bridal gifts have ranged from addressing the invitations with calligraphy to decorating the reception hall. These were really appreciated gifts, too.

ali