Old 07-26-2011, 07:47 AM
jljack

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
Yes it is a metal holding case that comes out and bobbin is put in that...
I have a 1951 Black 301 which did not come w/bobbin case...picked it up at a tag sale for 30.00 so I didn't mind buying case for it...for 69.00. Runs beautiful after a ckup with Singer repair man who does vintage machines.
He told me the 301 is the best gear driven machine Singer made and he'd buy that even before a featherweight...He was right it purrs and what a great stitch.

A few mths after buying that I found a 2 Toned beige 1954 301A for 120.00 on Craigs List in cabinet.. I was hooked on my 301 but I find this 301A I like even better even though they are the same machine other then where they were made...That baby purrs even smoother and I discovered the cabinet came equipped with knee pedal which I use and love. So get your 301 versus the 401 you won't regret it.
I also have a 1951 301, and after some cleanup and heavy oiling sessions (she was stiff as a board when I first got her...hadn't been used in years!), she sews like a dream!! I haven't done any FMQ on her, and I think it would be a little difficult for a large quilt. But I would certainly try it for a smaller quilt.