View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Surfergirl

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
ETA-- I think I just remembered the objection to 201 vs 15-91 -- isn't the 201 belt driven rather than solid gears? seems like I remember there being concerns about over heating and not being as strong to handle the bulk... but I think it's all theory since these machines have been around for 100+ years some of them and are still chugging along and have sewed far more difficult things than a quilt sandwich
Well I have a direct drive Singer 201 and I think the one she is looking at might be too. I had a belt driven one but the motor did not work when we bought it and we put it in a treadle base. It treadles very nicely, has the reverse and drop feed dog. (not that I ever plan to free motion on a treadle) I'll ask DH when he comes in for lunch. He was the one that researched it all and told me what he had found. For the longest time he was not hearing me about needing another sewing machine (Singer 201 direct drive). Hmmm maybe could it have anything to do with the 17 or so other vintage sewing machines already living at the house. They all followed a vintage singer 15-91 home. LOL[/quote]

The Singer 201-2 is gear-driven. I have 3 and love them. I also have two 15-91's...love them, too. They're both good machines for quilting. I think $75 is a great price for a 201-2, but it won't hurt to offer less...they just might accept it.