Thread: To Valerie
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 12:04 AM
QM
Power Poster

Valerie was thrilled. Her boss was thrilled. Even the receptionist was impressed.

Yes, I freehanded the V (on freezer paper) before putting it together. I used to do a lot of calligraphy (fancy writing) which helps with my layout. I have now done several of these letters, 9, I think. I call them, 'Initial Success'. The first one was when I was invited to a birthday fiesta, complete with great food and a mariachi band. DH asked me what I could come up with in just one day. I did the same sort of thing I have done with each one since. I begin with a really nice looking piece of fabric, usually a FQ. For the first one, I wrapped a gothic letter M with climbing roses. The stems were green cord fastened down with machine blanket stitch, points out, on each side. The leaves were raw edge applique. The rosebuds were made from red rectangles, folded, with the base covered by leaves. It was amazingly fast for its apparent complexity.

Not only do these gifts show my appreciation, they encourage the recipient to continue the good work and make it obvious to the boss what a jewel is employed there. The cost to me is negligible for the effect.

My master teacher told me to make 3 positive calls home for each negative one. It works in teaching. It works in most of life.