Old 07-30-2011, 06:37 AM
jad1044

Originally Posted by Carron
First off, I was wrong about the species, they are not wasps but honey bees.
Had a pest control company out today to handle the problem: Boy, what a problem too.

The man did get some of the hive (this is under the barn beneth the flooring) actually he pulled out a portion that weighed 30 lbs. That is a lot of honey and he thinks he did get the Queen, however the hive is very long and he was unable get all of it with out the right equipment.

Next week they need to return to pull up the flooring and fish out the rest of the hive or a new batch of bees will move in and continue building.

The man estimated that there are (some now gone) between 20 and 30 thousand bees in that hive.

We learned today that two horses and a dog have been attacked and killed by honey bees in this area. Sooooooo we will pay the enourmous price tag attached to the removal of all that remains of this colony.

Funny thing about this is that we nor any neighbors have seen any bee activity around our homes until yesterday when my husband went where they did not want him to be. According to the exterminator that hive has been there a least a year. Who knew, we certainly did not.

A clue was right in front of us and we didn't even see it. One of our cats loves to lay near the barn, probably looking for mice, but for the past several months she has been spending her time indoors, so very unlike her. I though she was just being social which she is not.
I think she knew there was danger at the barn and she was staying away.

Our fur babies are so smart and I guess we need to pay more attention to their actions.

Husband is doing very well tonight, most of his stings are not bothering him any more and the dog's foot is looking more normal.

When the bees followed my hubby to the house yesterday a few stuck around and I was stung twice. Boy does that hurt.
Enchanted quilter suggested to take a cotton ball and dip it into Clorox bleach then dab the area to relieve the pain and help destroy the poison the bees desposit in the sting.
I tried it and it really works.
slices of raw onion laid on bee stings or any kind of stings relieves teh sting also - I have heard laying a penny on a sting help, but have not tried that - but onion sure does. and leave it on as long as you need to take the swelling down.