View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 09:28 AM
kellen46

Originally Posted by Novice.for.now
I remember a story (true story) that mom told about some cousins. Many years ago 2-3 ladies were working together and decided to make a double wedding ring quilt. They cut their cardboard templates and proceeded to trace around them with pencil. Then they started cutting out the pieces with scissors. After sewing some parts together they discovered that the sections didn't fit together! What they finally discovered was that they had used the same cardboard templates for ALL the tracing and pressing the pencil along the sides gradually wore away the sides and the last pieces traced were small than the first ones traced. I don't know what they did with those useless pieces of fabric. I doubt if they knew about crumb quilts! Moral of the story, when using cardboard templates...make several sets and don't use each set too long!!! Long live plastic templates!!!!
I did exactly this very same thing with Dresden Plates. I was moving to another state and could only take what could fit in my old Dodge-mobile, (it was one of those big old boats). Anyway I could not take my treasured scrap box so I cut out several quilts worth of Dresden plates. Later, after I had moved, I started to put these together, all went well until halfway into the pile and 12 plate would no long do, up to 13, 14, 15, whew 16 needed. Now of course I did not have matching fabric to add in plates so they got cut from what I had. The last quilt had one of every size and some had segments of, well, creative widths. How ever all the quilts got made and the odd one got taken by a grandson as it was "different". Just goes to show that even an odd ball can find love. That grandson is in his twenties now and still has that nearly loved to death quilt.