View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 11:31 AM
draggin_behind

Hi, all

I did do a cursory search, but the forum is slow today. Or maybe it's just me. :-P

I am working on an order for some of the lighter colored frixion pens for working on dark fabrics. I got a three pack of dark pens at Staples and they worked pretty well for marking squares to make HST pieces. Anyway, I am planning to order from JetPens for two reasons, one is that if I spend 25 bucks I don't have to pay shipping. (Of course, they may decide to ship via a slow boat to China by way of Antarctica, but we'll see.) I also like their prices and reviews.

So, I am looking for pens that you have used to write on quilt labels, or other places on your quilts that were permanent inks. I read one post by a lady who swears by Sakura Gelly Roll pens. I've also read that a lot of people use Pigma Micron pens. Are these permanent on fabric?

My quilting group is making lap quilts for nursing home residents and we'll need labels for the quilts. I think it's a good idea to write each recipient's name on his/her quilt label to help prevent "it's MINE" squabbles later. I'd prefer to write the names so as to prevent some dumb @#$ from taking a magic marker and writing the name in a huge ugly print across my hard work. :lol:

If I get brave and decide to design my own labels, what pens work well for that job AND are permanent on fabric? I saw the info on the gelly roll pens and it said not to use on fabric that will be washed. These lap quilts will be run through an industrial washer, I expect, so I need something that will hold up under pressure.

Your opinions, reviews and advice are greatly appreciated! Happy quilting and pieceful sewing! Have an awesome weekend,
M&M