View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 05:57 PM
FroggyinTexas

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking
I like the idea of using bookcases for the base. Frees up more space for fabric on your other shelves! I've bought two pretty little bookcases from Target. They are 36" tall which seems a good height. If I push them together, my smaller cutting mat fits right on top and it is usable as a cutting table now. But I have a large mat, 24" x 36" so I am looking for a top now. I'd like formica but that is probably more than I want to spend, plus I don't want to add much more height to the table.
Try a piece of insulation. They are 4 by 8 feet and are about 1/2 inch thick and can be cut to any size. You can decide how big you want it and it will lie across your bookcases. If you think it isn't sturdy enough (sags in the middle) cut three 2 by fours the right length, lay them on the book cases, put the insulation on top and it will be sagproof. Except for the book cases, it is all very lightweight and can be stashed absolutely out of sight in the garage, in a closet or under a bed.

Of course, it will be about 2 inches higher than it is without the additions. froggyintexas