Old 08-03-2011, 04:25 AM
pumpkinpatchquilter

I have been a member of two guilds in the past, one was more of a bee than a guild though. I have always felt akward in guilds because I was 28 when I went to my first meeting, and have always been the youngest member. I'm 30 now, but I tend to feel like a lot of the ladies don't relate to me because of the age difference. There always seem to be one or two ladies too who are a little condescending and talk to me like I just learned to quilt last week. I suppose that's ok, I am a good quilter but of course I don't know everything, but I have had ladies get up and take my rotary cutter right out of my hand and try to show me how to cut fabric. I think that's rude no matter what your skill level and I don't think those ladies would dare do that to someone their own age...I think they just sort of feel they have a right to treat my that way because I'm younger. I still enjoyed the meetings though for the most part, and they had really good guest speakers. I don't really go anymore because I have three little children at home and it's hard to get a sitter, and also I think my skill level has surpassed the focus of the group a bit. I wish I could just have a couple quilting buddies closer to my age in this area who I could sew with while our kids play though! I went just as much for the friendships as I did for the learning.