View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 05:07 AM
WMUTeach

I talk quilts. When I meet a new person, a colleague from another part of my working world or someone at a social gathering, I always include quilting in the conversation.

"Hi, nice to see you again. What's been happening in your life since last May when I saw you last?" I respond with a quilt story. It is amazing how many people respond with I didn't know you quilted, me too or I would love to learn how to quilt but I ....... I guess it is called networking. Pass the word that you quilt and others will find you. Carry that new bag you made, talk to folks shopping in the fabric shop you frequent.

I go to a "craft night" at church and bring my machine, tools and what ever I am working on. I see the interest growing particularly in the younger women, teens and college student aged. No converts yet to quilting but they ask questions about the patterns, the tools and the process. I can easily see in a few months or years them asking for help to get started on a quilt or for help to get their first quilt finished. We may end up with our own little group, casual but helpful. Older women teaching the younger and younger teaching the older. Taking pleasure in one each others company.