Old 08-11-2011, 04:23 PM
quiltlady

Originally Posted by quiltlady
Billy - hope you can help me- years ago (more than 20) I bought an old machine that I bought just purely as a display item as I thought it looked cool in it's wood case, which was the bentwood style. I never expected it to work and never checked it out to work. Well now I am interested in the old machines to actually sew on, so today I dug it out and took a look at it. WOW is all I can say - it looks to be a 1911 Singer 66 - the serial number is G0564792 which on Singer website is 1910 but the bobbin bed cover plate says Patented Canada Aug 1, 1911 - so I'm guessing the 1910 is just a start date of these being produced. Mine is electric and does work with a working light. The cord and foot petal is in great shape so I'm guessing the motor was added later and not really production timeline. The bentwood case has a metal box section at the far right side with some ? electric connectors post - I'm not sure what thats all for and I haven't tried to open it up. I was able to stitch with it and it did beautifully but I don't want to do anymore without oiling it. Also can't find a way to do a reverse stitch or vary the length - do you know if you could with this machine or was it just a plain one size, one direction machine? I want to polish it up to start - any suggestions on how to clean all the scroll plating? and make them shine? How can I find an owners manual for oiling and threading?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Pat
I researched this further today on internet - I can't actually find the serial numbers on Singer site - the closest range said it was a Singer 66 but when I look further at internet pictures of vintage machines it looks like it's a Singer 128 - one Ebay seller claims their's is from 1927 in one place but then calls it a 1920 elsewhere.
Except for the connection to the motor mine looks just like this - http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=P1190151.jpg

I'm going to call Singer tomorrow about the serial number.