Thread: Charity Quilts
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 09:38 PM
desertrose

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Thank you for posting this. I teach a quilting class once a week in my home. The ladies do not have to pay but in exchange they must donate for our local police depoartment 2 quilt tops per year. I will FMQ them. One of the ladies first one was sad and the second worse so I finally pulled her aside. She said 'they're just for charity". My DD overheard as I said to her - I don't think a homeless person, victim, or whoever deserves anything less than I would give my own daughter. She didn't agree nor did my daughter. After talking to someone that had received a quilt that was donated my DD now realizes that because you are less fortunate does not mean you deserve less. She felt like it was better than nothing. I don't want my quilt to scream "I'm better than nothing". I want it to say "God was thinking about you and sent this as a reminder". Give with a glad heart.

I totally agree with you. I make and give what I can when I can and know that there will always be someone waiting to receive. I want them to feel they have received a beautiful gift not a hand me down. Giving with a glad heart is what it's all about.