Old 08-14-2011, 09:13 AM
weezie

We have 2 freezers and 3 fridges (all large); my husband's insulin supply and everything that is not canned or in sealed bottles/jars is refrigerated or frozen to extend it's freshness life and keep bugs out ... we live in the deep south and do regular "Home Defense" maintenance, so don't actually have a bug problem, plus no food out here to tempt them anyway.

Because we have the storage space and because I usually loathe shopping, I buy some things in bulk. I buy fabric on sale, (using coupons whenever possible) often without having any specific project in mind. While tastes do change over time, if I like the fabric a lot when I buy it, I continue to like it and will eventually find a perfect use for it. I don't have or want a big stash. I have one big plastic storage box of scraps of various sizes (kept primarily for applique), but I toss all the really small stuff and anything that is just too ugly to keep.

I'm a picky eater & rarely eat leftovers,; my husband & son eat the leftovers and most of what we throw away is just peels, seeds, & bones. I cook only once in a while, so keep on hand a supply of salad fixin's, fruits, fish, & various 'quick meals' in the freezers so we each can & do fend for ourselves. My days of cooking a big family meal every day are long gone! Now I'm happy to just keep the kitchen and all pots/pans/dishes clean and keep the fridges, freezers & shelves well stocked.