View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 08:17 AM
roserips

Originally Posted by Becka
Originally Posted by CristyK1
Becka are you Lakota? My son's bio father was Ojibwe and my son loves anything to do with Native Americans. I will have to pass on your story and quilt picture to him.
No, Cristy, I'm not Lakota. Two Hawks says I have "Rappatamokee" blood - Rappahannock, Tamaroa, and Cherokee - but that's covers almost 400 years of my genealogy, which also includes German, Scots, Irish, Nordic and Saxon blood. (And that's just on my dad's side!!) I'm actually a mutt, I guess :) But my friend is Lakota, and I thought it might mean more to him if I honored him in the way of his People. I don't really have a "People" (or else I have too many People?) so don't really have any cultural traditions regarding gratitude. A card, I guess, but in the scope of things, that seemed kind of lame :)

I don't know how old your son is, but the tradition of quilts among the First People is fascinating and tragic at the same time, if he wanted to research it :)
No, you have a culture, your like me an American. We have been immersed in so many cultures and come from so many nationalities that we are now creating our own new culture and it includes a lot of Native traditions. I see you used the spirit colors in your quilt, what a wonderful project to use for healing your grief and Thank-you so much for sharing your story with us.