View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Holice
Banned

It was a valid question and concern and the comments have been very good. Quilting has changed in the last 25 or so years. There is new technology and certainly more supplies available than when I started. And in my 30+ yrs of judging, that has changed also. I remember hearing several years ago that the top winner in Paducah refused the prize money (she would have to give up the quilt) because the quilt could travel and win more money than the Paducah prize. My suggestion is if you want to compete then pick your shows. Many more local shows accept quilts from outside the area. It has become difficult for judges because sometme we know the quilts, have seen them at other shows, in magazines, on the internet and by this recognize the reputation of the quilter. And they don't always win the top prize at a show because there were better quilts.Years ago there were categories for amature and professional but not often any more. Don't let this discourage from entering in any quilt show. Comments from the judges can be very helpful in improving one's quilting skill.