Old 08-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Edie

Originally Posted by roselady
Thank you, everyone for all your opinions. You have given me some new places to consider. I know that, being from California, I probably have a very wrong idea of what winters must be like in places like Michigan, Montana, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire. I tend to imagine that those places live with 5 feet of snow for 6 months. I tend to think that there would be no way to have a vegetable garden in those places, so if I am wrong about some of those things, please set me straight.
You're wrong. I have five foot tomato plants and have been eating off of them for about three weeks. Our neighbors have given me cabbage, eggplant, cukes, zukes and beans! I will admit that this year has been one of the most beautiful green, lush, beautiful colored flowers, shiny tree leaves, soft grass, I have ever seen in this State of Minnesota. The rain, the cool, the heat, the humm-a-ditty, the sun have played such an important part of our summer. Corn is ready. One problem there - the farmers are charging $5.00 a dozen. Not in my house! I get them cheaper at the store - fresh grown! I hear the Farmers Markets are flourishing this year with all the goodies to can, freeze, jell, jam and pickle. It's been one heckuva summer this summer. Edie